- Take a walk through the mysterious Pena Park (ticket included), with an astonishing variety of plants and trees. The park was planted with the help of a German Engineer, a specialist in botany.
- Feel like royalty as you enter the romantic Pena National Palace (ticket included) at the top of the Sintra Mountain with amazing views of the Moorish castle. This palace was built by Dom Fernando II, a romantic king, an artistic king, an intellectual. He was a German prince who married Dona Maria II.
- Do not miss The Great Triton – guardian of the palace - Inspired in Manueline art and mythology – and go for a great view from the Terrace of the Arches.
- Learn more about the beginnings of Sintra, its first inhabitants and the origin of the name Sintra.
- Inside the palace do not miss: Bedrooms of the King and Queen, the Chapel of Saint Jerome, Saxes room, the Arab room, the Greenroom, the Queens Terrace, the Indian room, the Nobles room, the Deer’ room and, in the end, the Kitchen.
- Lunch break in old Sintra - do not miss the opportunity to taste the delicious pastries from this village: Travesseiro and Queijada. You still have some time to visit the National Palace (ticket not included).
- Enjoy a fabulous photo opportunity at the Roca Cape cliffs, the westernmost point of Continental Europe, “where the earth ends and the sea begins…’’ – Luís Vaz de Camões.
- Catch a view of the strong waves at the breathtaking Guincho beach, a fashionable beach all year round, and a paradise for surfers, windsurfers and kite-surfers.
- Take a scenic drive along the Atlantic coast.
- Admire the glamorous town of Cascais, the first Tourism region in Portugal, and enjoy a walk along the bay. At the beginning of the 20th century, this was where the first summer holiday houses, grand hotels, the first casino, and restaurants, all for the very rich social classes were built.
- Drive along the coast to Lisbon passing the town of Estoril and its Casino.
What to expect ?
See Portugal's natural and architectural wonders on a small group guided tour of Sintra and Cascais from Lisbon. On this journey, experience the rich vegetation of Sintra Natural Park, the hidden trails at Pena Park and the bluffs of Roca Cape. Tour the immaculate Pena National Palace and then drive along the Atlantic Coast to Cascais for a leisurely walk through town to its scenic beaches.
Start with pickup at 9:00 AM in front of Hard Rock Cafe (Avenida da Liberdade, 2). Hop aboard your air-conditioned minivan and travel to Sintra. First, stop at Pena Park and see the diversity of plants and trees line the beautiful trails. Continue to Pena National Palace, the most famous of Sintra’s monuments, located at the top of Sintra Mountain. Enjoy this 19th-century Romanticist castle that looks and feels like a fairy tale. Observe the extravagant bedrooms that used to serve as a summer residence for the royal family. Depart the palace and stroll with your guide to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sintra. Spend some free time to have lunch or discover the town’s forested palaces like Sintra National Palace, a medieval royal palace occupied from the 15th to 19th centuries (own expense). Check out the local fare with tastes of queijada or travesseiro, two scrumptious and traditional pastries. Meet back with your guide and travel to Sintra Natural Park. Along the way, pass by the Palace of Monserrate. Then, whip out your camera for great photos at the rocky bluffs of Roca Cape (Cabo da Roca), Europe’s westernmost point. Briefly, visit Guincho Beach where surfers shred the gnar. Finally, make your way to Cascais bay for a walk. In the former fishing town of Cascais, peruse the narrow streets of this trendy vacation getaway with your guide. Check out classic white, terracotta-roofed houses as you make your way to the beach. Then, bask in the sun as you tuck your toes into the golden sands and gaze over the expansive Atlantic Ocean. Along the journey back to central Lisbon, where your tour concludes, enjoy pristine views of the scenic town of Estoril. Your tour then finishes with a drop-off back at Hard Rock Cafe.
- Ticket to Pena Palace & Park
- Tickets to other monuments/museums
Where to meet ?
We will provide you meeting location after reservation is confirmed.
- Inclusions: Pena Palace & Park entrance; Local guide; transportation by air-conditioned minivan.
- Exclusions: Lunch; Guided visit inside monuments; Tickets to other monuments